Sunday, October 28, 2007

Thought of the day:

Why 12,000 miles? Why not 8000 miles or 3000 miles? When I picked the 12,000 miles I hadn’t even ridden a bicycle in years. I wanted to do something that was out of my comfort zone. I wanted people to know that I was serious about making a difference and that they could trust me and that I wouldn’t give up when things got hard. Believe me, things have been hard. This trip has been 100 times harder physically and mentally than I ever imagined. That’s good; it just goes to show that I won’t give up on trying to make a difference. I want to be able to stand in front of a group of high school students and tell them my story. Tell them about how I was a star athlete and had huge dreams. How I was injured and how I gave up on those dreams. I want to be able to tell them how one bad decision leads to another and before you know it your life is out of control. I want to be able to tell them about jail and prison and how alone that feeling can be. Then I want to tell them that I decided I wanted a different life, a better life. I want them to know that I said I was going to do something before I even tried to do it because I knew that if I tried I could. I want to be able to tell them that it didn’t go according to plan. That it was harder than I could have ever imagined. The best part is going to be when I tell them that I rode 12,000 miles and that my life is different now. Some might even listen and decide to make different choices in there lives so they don’t have to go through and miss out on all the thing I had too.

To leave a comment, just click below on "Comments." Also, if you would like to send me an email you can email me at mdluman@800meters.com I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments: